Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Job Fair

Today I went to the job fair for one of my two activities on campus. The job fair was very interesting to me, but at the same time it was almost useless to me. The employers that are at the job fair are not interested in freshmen. They are looking mostly for juniors and seniors because they are looking to hire people. There are two companies that I talked to. The first company was the Internal Revenue Service. The second company was Margolin, Winer & Evens LLP.
The Internal Revenue used the approach of salary to try to reel me into their company. They discussed the starting salary for a person with an accounting degree with no CPA and with a CPA. The salaries were significantly different; though I was not very amused by this company.
The second accounting firm I spoke with, Margolin, Winer & Evens LLP, took a different approach to recruiting their future employees. They recruited on a personal level. The woman spoke about being able to have a career and family life at home. She also spoke about how the firm handles large companies, but you work in smaller groups and feel as if you contributed.
All in all, I felt as if this was a great stepping stone for me. It allowed me to see what companies are offering and I can get a better sense of what I would like for my future.

No comments: