Interview of College Athlete
Athlete: Mike Diaz
Sport: St. John’s Baseball (freshman) only played 1 semester
1) What were some of the things that you did in order to get recruited?
I sent out letters to the coaches of the school I wanted to go to. I e-mailed coaches and also played in college showcases.
2) Was there anything that the coach did that helped you make your decision?
No, I did not attend a school that I got recruited to go to.
3) Is there any part of the NCAA rules that are unclear to you and if so why?
The NCAA rules are clear, but there are so many rules you cannot possibly know them all. You have to be very careful with what you do. The important rules are clear
4) What do you find the difference to be between high school and college sports?
The amount of time that is required of you is greater. There is also much higher competition.
5) Is it difficult to maintain your grades and get your work done as a college athlete?
I would not say it is difficult, but it is more difficult than if I did not have sports.
6) Did you feel out of place coming onto the team later?
Originally you have to work a lot harder to be accepted as part of the team, but after a while the players start to accept you. It is much more difficult to be accepted by the coaches.
7) What was it like being a walk-on to the team?
As a walk-on you get a three hour major league style tryout. If they like you they then keep you on the team until at least the end of the fall.
Monday, February 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment